Getting there

It’s been a lot of work, but I’m getting close to completing the hand cut styrene skins for R2-D2. I’ve completed both the front inner and rear inner skins as well as the front outer skin. Now all that’s left is the rear outer skin, but that too are a lot of little squares to cut out. Tonight I quickly taped the ones I had finished together, and it suddenly looks like an Astromech.

In the mean time I’ve been doing some investigation into creating my own custom remote controls for driving the droid when time comes. Inspired by StealthRC, I want to create some remotes that can be easily hidden in the pockets of a sweater, and the size and shape of the old Wii Nunchuk seemed to fit quite well.

img_2962.jpeg

As I want to use as much off the shelf electronics as possible, I probably need to adjust the width of the controller a bit as the bottom part is too slim to fit the Adafruit Feather. I’m also not sure if I want to stay with the 500mAh lipo that I’ve been testing with, or that I want to see if I can fit the 1200mAh version in.

 

img_2972.jpeg

My plan is to use a raspberry PI as the receiving end of the bluetooth connections (I also ordered a chinese replica of the Playstation Move Navigation controller) and use I2C to control the various subsystems, for which I can then use Arduino’s again.

I2C and Saleae logic analyzer

Today I received my Saleae Logic Analyzer, which I ofcourse needed to try out. But for that I would actually need a signal to analyze. Experimenting with I2C was something that was on my TODO list, and this was a good opportunity. I hooked up 2 ATMEGA328’s on my breadboard, wired them together through the I2C bus and flashed the Wire samples from the Arduino IDE. After attaching the logic analyzer to the same signal and pressing ‘Start’ on my computer, the I2C protocol analyzer from Saleae showed exactly what was going on …

i2c_analyze