It’s been a while since my last post, but I’ve been quite busy researching various parts of my R2-D2 build. Ofcourse I got a bit distracted by my new BigBox printer, and ended up printing a light saber, which is going to be my airbrushing test object.
Speaking of airbrushing, I’ve been trying various possibilities for the metal / aluminium parts of the build. I’ve painted some sample pieces with Vallejo metal paints (aluminium, duraluminium and chrome), but have not yet been really impressed.
I do think I want to go for the not-so-shiny look of the dome from A New Hope, but won’t know for sure until I’ve also tried the solvent based Alcad II paints. I have 3 colors (aluminium, polished aluminium and chrome) to try before I can decide, but given that I need to paint that stuff outside, the gloss black primer is going to have to sit there till the weekend:
I did manage to get a bit of work done on the power coupler model, which was needed as the parts didn’t really fit together the way I had imagined they would. The fit is still a bit too tight, and I’m a bit worried that applying XTC-3D will make that even worse, so I might add a little bit more spacing.
All in all a lot of research, but all slowly taking me closer to actually building R2-D2.
Today I converted (most) of the blueprints for the power coupler into a printable part. I still need to get a few more details in (center cone needs to be a bit heigher and the fins need some angle to it) and add some mounting points so I can attach it to the frame.
Today I started the first steps towards by beginning with the frame design in OpenSCAD. I converted the skins from the Astromech forum and setup some common variables and functions for easily making rings and verticals.
Today I received my Saleae Logic Analyzer, which I ofcourse needed to try out. But for that I would actually need a signal to analyze. Experimenting with I2C was something that was on my TODO list, and this was a good opportunity. I hooked up 2 ATMEGA328’s on my breadboard, wired them together through the I2C bus and flashed the Wire samples from the Arduino IDE. After attaching the logic analyzer to the same signal and pressing ‘Start’ on my computer, the I2C protocol analyzer from Saleae showed exactly what was going on …
My current setup includes an EZStruder, but it’s mounted in a bracket somewhere next to the printer, screwed to the table it’s standing on. Today I started designing a bracket that I could attach to the right side of the printer itself. The angle is still a bit off compared to the lines of the frame, but the initial print seems to match quite nicely.
All electronics and motors removed, and ready to start on the new version.